Associate Editor: I run the home page and edit sports, nonfiction book excerpts and reviews, and some news and politics. Previously I edited our defunct pet advice column, Beast Mode.
• SMOG (2014) Reported essay on NYC’s aging infrastructure and a legal war between Verizon and Con Edison over pipe leaks
• The Atlantic (2013) Longform story on sleep deprivation. Piece yielded more than 12,000 shares and rose to the most popular story on the site. Interviewed on 980AM CKNW’s (Vancouver) The Shift and Wisconsin Public Radio’s Central Time.
• DNAinfo New York (2013) Breaking news and features twice weekly on politics (incl. 2013 elections), obituaries and crime
• Columbia Journalism Review (2012) Story about a Senegalese radio host who explains U.S. elections and government to audiences in New York City and Dakar.
• Chicago Booth Magazine (2011-2012) Helped report, write and edit University of Chicago Booth School of Business Spring 2012 magazine. Seven by-lines, including one story on the link between household debt and unemployment and another about America’s educational gap between boys and girls
• University of Chicago News (2011-2012) Stories about a Veterans Day event and an art installation on feasts
National Public Radio (NPR) – Planet Money (September 2013-December 2013)
Intern. Pitched, wrote, recorded and reported print and audio stories about the economy. Located sources, reported background and fact-checked stories for team of ten reporters and producers. Interviewed and recorded vox and tape synchs for podcast and radio, for Planet Money, NPR News, and Morning Edition, using Marantz and component microphones. Logged tape and transferred audio. Contributed to weekly group story meetings and podcast edits. Assisted widely praised multimedia Planet Money T-Shirt Project.
Global City NYC (globalcitynyc.com) (September-December 2012)
Immigrant community beat reporter on New York’s West Africans. Wrote stories about culture, business, politics, media and Hurricane Sandy. Recorded podcast and helped design website.
In These Times (inthesetimes.com) (August 2009-January 2010)
Editorial intern. Edited dozens of articles for national monthly magazine. Wrote for departments. Published 1,000-word feature about leftists in Michigan cooperating with the state Democratic Party.
The Huffington Post—Chicago (huffingtonpost.com/Chicago) (August 2008-January 2009)
Editorial intern. Aggregated Chicago stories every day. News items included the city’s Olympics bid, 2008 Elections, and former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s indictment. Wrote headlines and captions, created photo slideshows, edited blogs, managed blogger and photo databases.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
New York, NY
M.S. 2013, Magazine Concentration
Wrote longform stories on solar energy financing, Chuck Schumer’s campaign finance donations and aging boaters on City Island. Covered West African immigrant beat in Harlem and the South Bronx. Honors in 3 classes. Trained in investigative skills, multimedia journalism and reporting on campaign finance and lobbying (honors). Osborn Elliott-National Magazine Awards Scholar.
University of Chicago
B.A. with Honors 2008, International Studies
Major coursework in globalization, economics, sociopolitical philosophy, international relations theory and history. Thesis on divergent postcolonial economic development in Algeria and Vietnam. During third year, all classes and assignments in French through study abroad at Nanterre and Sciences Po. Contributor to student newspaper. Internships in U.S. House of Representatives and Chicago Council on Global Affairs.
French (Advanced speaking, reading and writing), elementary Spanish, social media, various CMS.
Please contact me for references.